February 16, 2026
ARUNACHAL

Tension prevailed in the Ruksin area of Arunachal Pradesh’s East Siang district after protests by local residents against a proposed silicon factory at the Niglok Industrial Growth Centre (IGC) turned violent on Sunday, leaving three security personnel injured.According to official sources, two police constables and one Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) officer sustained injuries during a clash between protesters and security personnel. Police have detained two individuals for allegedly instigating the crowd and encouraging unlawful activities during the protest. The incident occurred when district administration officials and police personnel were escorting trucks carrying materials meant for the factory. The trucks had reportedly been stranded at Ruksin for several days due to continuous protests. The administration took action following an interim order issued by the Gauhati High Court on February 5, which directed the state authorities to ensure unhindered movement of men and materials to the silicon factory. The court has scheduled the next hearing of the case for April 30.

Earlier in the day, officials led by the Ruksin Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC) and the Superintendent of Police (SP) of East Siang attempted to move the trucks toward the factory site. However, they faced strong resistance from villagers at the Ngorlung bridge point. A large number of local residents, including many women from nearby villages, gathered at the location and blocked the road, preventing officials and the convoy from moving forward.As the situation grew tense, security personnel attempted to disperse the protesters. Officials said a lathi-charge was carried out after repeated appeals to clear the road failed. Despite the attempt, protesters continued their agitation, raising slogans against the state government and the factory authorities. Some protesters also burned tyres on the road, further intensifying the situation. Due to the continued resistance and the tense atmosphere, the magistrate present at the site decided to withdraw the officials and security forces from the area to prevent further escalation. The trucks carrying factory materials were taken back to the Ruksin headquarters and kept under safe custody.

Police officials later stated that the overall situation remains tense but is currently under control, with additional security deployed in the area to maintain law and order. Authorities are also monitoring the situation closely to prevent any further incidents.Local villagers have been opposing the establishment of the silicon factory for several months, expressing concerns over possible environmental impacts. Residents claim that the factory could lead to air and water pollution, which they fear may affect agricultural activities, drinking water sources and public health in nearby villages. Protesters have demanded that the proposed factory be shifted to another location after conducting detailed environmental assessments. District officials said they are continuing discussions with community representatives and stakeholders to address the concerns raised by villagers while also complying with the court’s directives regarding the movement of materials to the project site. They added that maintaining peace and ensuring public safety remain the administration’s immediate priorities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *